Monday, February 3, 2014

Oh be careful little hands what you touch!

Discipline leads to an abundant life

Proverbs 12:1 (NCV) “Anyone who loves to learning accepts correction, but a person who hates being corrected is stupid.”
Ok, I must admit when I read this verse in Proverbs 12 I felt a little twinge because after all, who likes being told they’re doing something wrong? I know I don’t. However, when it comes down to living according to God’s word, it IS up to me to accept the correction that living a fully devoted life requires.
The writer of Hebrews says "God disciplines those he loves" (Hebrews 12:5-6). He (God) disciplines us in the same way we discipline our children. As a parent, I discipline my child because I can see the consequences of his actions if he continues down the path he is currently taking. The same is true of our Lord.
God can see our lives from beginning to end. Just like the watchful eye of a caring parent, He sees when we’re about to “touch a boiling pot on the stove” of our life and encourages us to “move” because He loves us and desires us to live the abundant life He has planned for us. Sometimes we’re too caught up in our own agenda to see His plan clearly. I know discipline isn’t fun but when heeded it will produce a harvest of righteousness (Hebrews 12:10 – 11).
So, what “hot-pots” are you about to touch in your life; disobedience, gossip, inappropriate relationships, bitterness, anger? 

There are “hot-pots” in our lives that we keep touching over and over again and they burn us deeply. God sees the consequences of the touch and wants us to accept His loving discipline. If we accept his correction, we can live the abundant life He has promised for us.
Related reading: Deut. 8:2-5; Rev. 3: 19 – 20; 2 Cor. 12: 7-10; 1 Cor 10:13

No comments:

Post a Comment