Monday, April 14, 2014

Confident in uncharted territory

Joshua 1:6-9 (HCSB) 6 "Be strong and courageous, for you will distribute the land I swore to their fathers to give them as an inheritance. 7 Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. 8 This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. 9 Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
Have you ever been afraid to step out into “uncharted” territory? By that I mean doing something new. Perhaps it’s an opportunity to serve in a ministry at church, or to take on a new position outside of your current employer, or perhaps stay where you are when everything in you wants to throw in the towel and leave. I have. There have been many times that I’ve been afraid to “move” because I didn’t know what was coming next. For me, the safety of “where I was” at the time was just simply “good enough.”
But God doesn’t call us based on who we are or what WE think we can do. He calls us based on who He is and what He wants to do through us. The verses in Joshua 1: 6 – 8 is a reminder to me that God can use us to fulfill His purposes if we are obedient, consistently study His word, and remain strong and courageous.
God tells Joshua to be strong and courageous three times in four verses of scripture. What does that say to you? For me, it’s reassurance. I know that God is with me wherever I go. When I do my part by stepping out in faith, with courage, consistently seeking guidance from His word, I know I will succeed because He will be there. How awesome is that???




No comments:

Post a Comment